Tuesday 3 January 2012

Crate & Barrel Inspired JOKKMOKK Rebuild

Crate & Barrel Inspired JOKKMOKK dining table

Materials: JOKKMOKK Table & Chairs, Vinyl Flooring, Plywood, Wood Framing Strips, Paint

Description: I was furnishing my apartment and needed a kitchen/dining table. I really like the style of a table I came across at Crate & Barrel. It was too big for my place, and too expensive at almost a thousand dollars. I decided that I could make my own adaptation that would fit my budget and space.



Crate & Barrel Inspired JOKKMOKK dining table
Crate & Barrel Inspired JOKKMOKK dining table

I started with a JOKKMOKK table and chairs set sourced from Craigslist for only $60. I disassembled the table and chairs and sanded everything down to bare pine. This was the longest part of the hack and took about 6 hours of sanding.

Crate & Barrel Inspired JOKKMOKK dining table

I then built a new table top using 3/4" plywood with vinyl flooring glued to the top. The flooring is made to resemble old, rough-cut barn wood, but is much more heat and scratch resistant. I painted all the pieces a new light gray color, and sealed them with polyurethane. The new top is mounted to the frame using the same method as the old top.

I've received a lot of compliments on the hack and nobody believes me when I tell them it's mainly IKEA furniture!

~ Taylor, Atlanta, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment